Laboratory of photochemistry and luminescence
Head of the Laboratory: Prof. Anatoly V. Metelitsa
The laboratory had been based in 1970 and ever since it had a lot of research experience in organic photochemistry and luminescence. The scientific results have been recognized both in Russian Federation and abroad. The first head of laboratory was professor M. I. Knyazhansky. The laboratory researchers have received original materials on spectral properties, structural and energetic mechanisms of photoinduced processes of photochromic molecules such as pyrans, chromenes, spiropyrans, spiroxepines, fulgides, diarylethens, o-hydroxyazomethines, aryloxyquinones, aryl-substituted cations of pyridinium, pyrimidinium and pyridine, as well as photo- and thermochromic spiro-1,3-oxazines, fulgides of indoline series, bipolar spiro-σ-complexes and new series of photo-, thermo- and electrochromic perimidinespirohexadienones unknown previously. The important finding in this field was the discovery of photochromic properties of benz-1,3,2-oxazaborines and bis-(N-alkyl- or aryl-)salicylal-diminates that are metal analogues of 2H-chromenes and sym-spirooxazines respectively.
Dr. Makarova Nadezhda, Besugliy Serguei, Chernyshev Anatoly, Dr. Gaeva Elena
Scientific branches of fundamental research:
- Study of structural mechanism of photoinitiated processes in organic molecular systems.
- Investigation of electronic excitation energy deactivation mechanisms in organic molecular systems.
- Revelation of regularities determining relationships between molecular structure and mechanisms of competitive photoinitiated processes of photochemical and photophysical pathways of electronic excitation energy deactivation mechanisms in organic molecular systems.
- Kinetic and thermodynamic analysis of processes in the ground and excited states for organic photochromic compounds.
- Elaboration of materials for optical 2D and 3D memory.
- Elaboration of multistable polyfunctional and multiaddress molecular systems for molecular electronics.
- Elaboration of photochromic materials for ophtalmological optics.
- Elaboration of photodynamic chemosensors.
- Elaboration of materials for organic light-emitting diodes (OLED).
Equipment and facilities:
- Agilent Technologies HP-8453
- Varian Cary-100
- Varian Cary-50
- Specord M40
- Cary Eclipse
- Shimadzu RF-5001 PC
- FluoTime 200 (Fluorescence Lifetime Spectrometer)
- Light sources “Lot Oriel” for UV-Vis irradiation
Equipment allows realizing:
- registration of electronic absorption spectra in 200-1100 nm region using 77-370 K temperature range;
- registration of fluorescence spectra in 300-1000 nm region using 77-300 K temperature range;
- registration of fluorescence excitation spectra in 250-650 nm region using 77-300 K temperature range;
- registration of phosphorescence and phosphorescence excitation spectra;
- registration of chemiluminescence spectra;
- measuring of polarization of luminescence and luminescence excitation spectra;
- measuring of fluorescence lifetimes in the nano- and picosecond domain;
- registration of fluorescence spectra dynamics in the nano- and picosecond domain;
- registration fluorescence anisotropy relaxation nano- and picosecond domain;
- kinetic measurements using both absorption and luminescence spectra;
- carrying-out of photoreaction with simultaneous spectral monitoring;
- carrying-out of preparative photochemical synthesis;
- preparation of polymer films of organic compounds;
- preparation of solidphase films of organic compounds by means of thermal vacuum evaporation
- Adiabatic conformational processes and diabatic photochromic reactions associated with photoinduced intramolecular proton transfer, RFBR 99-03-32485?, 1997-1998.
- Photophysic processes and intermediates in the photoreactions of metastable structures’ formations, RFBR 99-03-32485?, 1999-2001.
- Kinetics and reaction dynamics of the photoinduced electrocyclic conversions of the conjugated spirocyclic structures and the isoelectronic metalchelates, RFBR 03-03-32154?, 2003-2005.
- Photomodulated polyfunctional molecular systems, RFBR 06-03-32988?, 2006-2008.
- “The mechanism of light induced structural relaxation of aromatic compounds.”, INTAS 96-1485, 1997-1999.
- “Development of a new bistable molecular system for three-dimensional memory.”, INTAS 00 – 00152, 2001-2003.
Participation in international programs of scientific collaboration:
- PICS (Programme International de Coopération Scientifique ) 705, French-Russian program of collaboration in photochemistry field, 2002-2005.
- GDRI (Groupe de Recherches International): Photoswitchable Organic Molecular Systems and Devices. International program of collaboration in photochemistry field. Coordinator country – France, countries-participants – Russia, China, Japan, 2006-2009.
- Photochemistry Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Chemical Physics of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Problems of Chemical Physics of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- N. D. Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Chemical Kinetics and Combustion of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Université P. Sabatier, UMR CNRS 5623, IMRCP, 118 Route de Narbonne, F-31062 Toulouse, France
- Université de la Méditerranée, UMR CNRS 6114, Dept. of Chemistry, Case 901, F-13288 Marseilles Cedex 9, France
- Université de Lille 2, Laboratoire de Physique, UMR CNRS 8009, Faculté de Pharmacie, BP 83, 59006 Lille cedex, France.
Presentation of scientific results at the conferences:
- First International Symposium on Organic Photochromism. Molecules and Systems. September 12-16, 1993. Iles des Embiez, Var, France.
- The 2nd International Symposium on Photochromism. September 8-14, 1996. Clearwater Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
- VI International Conference on methods and applications of fluorescence spectroscopy (MAFS6). September 12-15. 1999, Paris. France
- XVIII IUPAC Symposium on photochemistry, July 22-27, 2000, Dresde.
- XX International Conference on Photochemistry (ICP). July 30 – August 4, Moscow, Russia
- Euroanalysis-12. September 8-13, 2002, Dortmund, Germany
- IUPAC Symposium on Photochemistry, July 14-19, 2002, Budapest, Hungary
- 2nd Mediterranean Meeting on Photochemistry. June 28 – July 2, 2003, Giardini Naxos, Italy
- XX IUPAC Symposium on Photochemistry. Granada, Spain 17-22 July 2004.
- 4th International Symposium on Photochromism (ISOP’04). September 12-15, 2004. Arcachon, France
- XXII International conference on photochemistry(ICP) 2005, 24-29 July 2005, Cairns, Australia
- XXIst IUPAC Symposium on Photochemistry, Kyoto, Japan, April 2-7, 2006
- Knyazhansky M.I., Metelitsa A.V., Bushkov A.Ja., Aldoshin S.M. Role of Structural Flexibility in Fluorescence and Photochromism of the Salicylideneaniline: The "Aldehyde" Ring Rotation. J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chem. 97, 1996, 121-126.
- Metelitsa A.V., Voloshin N.V., Shelepin N.E., Knyazhansky M.I., Minkin V. I. Photo- and Thermochromic Spirans. 20. Photochromic Properties of Solid-Phase Films of New Formyl-substituted Spiropyrans of Indoline Series. Chem. Heterocycl. Compd. (Engl.Transl.), 1996, 34, 3, 399-405.
- Metelitsa A.V., Knyazhansky M.I., Medyantseva E. A., Lyashik 0. T., Aldoshin S.M. and Minkin V. I. The Structure and Photochemical Properties of Novel Fulgides of Indoline Series with an Adamantylidene Fragment. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Sci. Technol. Sect. A, 1997, 297,93-98.
- Metelitsa A.V., Komissarov V.N., Knyazhansky M.I., and Minkin V. I. New Photochromic bis-Spirocyclic Systems. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Sci. Technol. Sect. A, 1997, 297, 219-226
- Kletskii M.E., Milov A.A., Metelitsa A.V., Knyazhansky M.I. Role of Structural Flexibility in the Fluorescence and Photochromism of Salicylideneaniline: the General Scheme of the Phototransformations. J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chem. 1997, 110, 267-270.
- A.V. Metelitsa, M.S. Korobov, L.E. Nivorozhkin, V.I. Minkin, V.E. Smith. Photo- and Thermochromic Properties of 2,6-diformylphenol diimines. Zh.Org.Khim, 24, 1998, 1203-1207.
- M.I. Knyazhansky, A.V. Metelitsa, N.I. Makarova, V.M. Feygelman, and Ja.R. Tymyansky. Light-induced adiabatic structural relaxation and electronic energy deactivation in Pyridinium bications. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry 132 (2000) 59-66.
- Y.E.Alekseev, M.I.Knyazhanskii, A.V.Metelitsa, T.P.Sudareva, Y.A.Zhdanov. Light-induced structural transformations and solute-solvent interactions of the naphthalimide molecules forming the inclusion complex with cyclodextrins. Dokl.Akad.Nauk, 2000, 370, 190-192.
- M.I. Knyazhansky, A.V. Metelitsa, M.E. Kletsky, A.A. Millov, and S.O. Besugliy. The structural transformations and photoinduced processes in the salicylidene alkylimines. Journal of Molecular Structure. 2000. 526/1-3, 65-79.
- M.I.Knyazhanskii, A.V.Metelitsa, Y.E.Alekseev, A.I.Pyshchev, T.V.Kovaleva, T.P.Sudareva, B.M.Uzhinov. Photoinitiated structural transformations and intermolecular interactions participating in formation of luminescent spectral characteristics of molecules of amino-substituted naphthalimides. Russ.J.Org.Chem., 2001, 36, 1192-1197.
- V. Metelitsa, J. C. Micheau, N. A. Voloshin, E. N. Voloshina, and V. I. Minkin ; Kinetic and Thermodynamic Investigations of the Photochromism and Solvatochromism of Semipermanent Merocyanines, The Journal of Physical Chemistry A; 2001; 105(37); 8417-8422.
- A.V.Metelitsa, V.Lokshin, J.C. Micheau, A.Samat, R.Guglielmetti, V.Minkin. Photochromism and Solvatochromism of push-pull or pull-push spiroindolinenaphthoxazines. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2002, 4, 4340 – 4345.
- V.A. Lokshin, A. Samat, A.V. Metelitsa, "Spirooxazines: synthesis, structure, spectral and photochromic properties", Russ. Chem. Rev., 2002, 71 (11), 893-916.
- V.Lokshin, M.Vales, A.Samat, G.Pepe, A.Metelitsa, V.Khodorkovsky. A novel photoreversible photochromic system involving a hydrogen transfer/cyclization sequence. Chem.Comm. 2003. p. 2080-2081.
- A.V. Metelitsa, V.I. Minkin, M.S. Korobov, S.O. Besugliy, A.N.Petruhin, F.E. Gostev, A.A.Titov, O.M. Sarkisov. Photochromism of o-hydroxyazomethines and bis-chelate complexes on their basis. The Russian Chemical Journal (The Journal of D.I.Mendeleev Russian Chemical Society ), 2004, XLVIII, No.1, p.87-92.
- N.A. Voloshin, A.V. Chernyshev, A.V. Metelitsa, S.O. Besugliy, E.N. Voloshina, L.P. Sadimenko, V.I. Minkin. Photochromic spiro[indoline-pyridobenzopyrans]: fluorescent metal-ion sensors. ARKIVOC(Archive for Organic Chemistry), 2004, (xi) P. 16-24.
- V. Metelitsa, J. C. Micheau, S. O. Besugliy, E. B. Gaeva, N. A. Voloshin, E. N. Voloshina, A. Samat, and V. I. Minkin. Photochromic properties of six 5-O-n-alkyl, 6′-CN substituted spironaphthoxazines. International Journal of Photoenergy. V.6 (2004) Issue 4, 199-204.
- V.I. Minkin, A.V. Metelitsa, I.V. Dorogan, B.S. Lukyanov, S.O. Besugliy, and Jean-Claude Micheau. Spectroscopic and Theoretical Evidence for the Elusive Intermediate of the Photoinitiated and Thermal Rearrangements of Photochromic Spiropyrans. J. Phys. Chem. A. 2005, 109 (42), 9605-9616.
- E.B. Gaeva, V. Pimienta, A.V. Metelitsa, N.A. Voloshin, V.I. Minkin and J.C. Micheau. Solvation effects on spirooxazine to merocyanine thermal reversion kinetics in acetonitrile–water binary mixtures. J. Phys. Org. Chem. Volume 18, Issue 4, Date: April 2005, Pages: 315-320.
- Elena B. Gaeva, Anatoly V. Metelitsa, Nikolai A. Voloshin, Véronique Pimienta and Jean-Claude Miceau. Solvation effect and aggregation of semipermanent spiro[indole-phenanthrolinoxazines] in CH3CN / H2O binary solvent. ARKIVOC(Archive for Organic Chemistry), 2005, (vii) P. 18-27.
- E.B. Gaeva, V. Pimienta, J.C. Micheau, A.V. Metelitsa and N.A. Voloshin, Negative Photochromism of New Spirooxazines Derivatives in Acidified Solution, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 430, 81-89 (2005).
- V. Metelitsa, I. V. Dorogan, B. S. Lukyanov, V. I. Minkin, S. O. Besugliy, J. C. Micheau. Photochromic Spiro[7H-furo(3,2-f)-(2H-1)-benzopyran-7,2’-indolines]: Experimental and Computational Evidence for the Elusive Intermediate of the Photoinitiated Ring Opening Reaction of Spiropyrans. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 430, 45-52 (2005).
- A.V. Chernyshev, N.A. Voloshin, I.M. Raskita, A.V. Metelitsa, V.I. Minkin. Photo- and ionochromism of 5’-(4,5-diphenyl-1,3-oxazol-2-yl) substituted spiro[indoline-naphthopyrans]. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry. 2006, 184, 289-297.
- Makarova N.I., Metelitsa A.V., Bezuglyi, S.O., Sayapin, Yu.A., Komissarov, V.N., Starikov, A.G., Korobov, M.S., Borodkin, G.S., Starikova, Z.A., Antipin, M.Yu., Minkin, V.I. Photoisomerization of quinolin-2-yl derivatives of β-tropolone. Russian Chemical Bulletin, 2006, 55 (3), 484-491.
Hits: 10220. Created: Sunday, 29 April 2007. Modified: Thursday, 11 July 2013.